Skip to main content

Pattern Focus: Navelli

Synopsis of project details for navelli top - all information in post
Navelli was a lovely top to knit. I love combining colours in a project and I'm particularly thrilled with this combination. 
4 hanks of yarn including 2 coffee-coloured, 1 beige and 1 burgundy
I'd originally bought all the colours from Lay Family Yarn. The original lighter skein that I wanted to use had a greener tone but I realised how perfect a match the Ephemera skein was from Mr B. It has touches of the burgundy in it and has a warmer tone too.

The coffee-coloured is Macchiato and the burgundy is Forager. Both are from Lay Family Yarn.  The base for all of them is 75% merino / 25% nylon  and 425m/100g.

These colours are a bit of a departure for me (in terms of what I normally wear) but I'm absolutely thrilled with it.
wearing Navelli top in coffee, burgundy and cream stood in front of plants
Can't be serious all the time. Can we? 
wearing Navelli top in coffee, burgundy and cream in an exaggerated position
I worked the 5th size which gave me about 8" of positive ease. I didn't modify a huge amount in the pattern. My gauge was a little off 25 x 36 instead of 24 x 30; though it's a pattern where the sizing doesn't need to be hugely precise.

I used a larger needle on the stranded colourwork section.
close up of colourwork section in cream and burgundy
To stop pooling or weird colour blocks, the main colour was striped helically in the body. There was a bit of an issue when I hit the front/back section. That part is worked flat and the two skeins of the main colour were quite different to one another. When I started striping every two rows instead of the one row on the body, it looked blatantly different to me. I ended up striping every row using a circular needle and just working from whichever end the working yarn was. I'm a lot happier with the finish now. You might spot the few rows near the armhole where it was pooling.
Navelli on the needles showing the pooling at the armholes
I did modify the sleeves slightly. I reduced the stitch count a bit on the sleeves and worked a purl ridge at the edge to give it a crisp clean look. On the inside of the turned hem, I used a smaller needle too.close up of Navelli sleeve showing ridge in burgundy
This is one of those outfits that is completely reversible but I did want to keep the little bit of 2 row striping at the back when I put it on. I've been meaning for ages to get labels to add to my handknits. My inspiration for the labels was a little lacking but my husband (who has a brilliant sense of humour) came up with this one and I just had to go with it.
black and pink label in the back of knitted garment that reads Hey Sleepy This is the Back


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photo Tutorial: How to Back a Knitted Blanket

Recently, I was asked to help out with a project. This wonderful blanket (designed by Debbie Abrahams from her book, Blanket and Throws to Knit ) was knitted by Ann. I was asked to piece it together and back it. The finished blanket is being used to raise money for When you Wish Upon a Star. The yarn was donated by A Good Yarn and the fabric and cotton by L & C Fabrics . I thought I’d show you how I went about backing the blanket, I went about it as I would a quilt. Though, I decided tying would be the best way of layering it together, as traditional quilting would be difficult on a knitted fabric. 1. Block the blanket. I pinned it out and spritzed it. Normally, I would wet block, but I was concerned that the red may bleed and it would take some time to dry too. 2. My blanket was too large for a standard width so I pieced the backing. The backing should be a few inches larger than the knitted blanket. Place it right side down on the floor. I then tape it down o

Photo Tutorial: Twisted German / Old Norwegian Cast-On

Everyone has their go-to or workhorse cast-on. More often than not it can be a Knitted cast-on or a Long-Tailed cast-on; or perhaps the Cable cast-on. The one I tend to use is the Twisted German cast-on, also known as Old Norwegian cast-on. For speed I’m going to call it – TGCO. The reasons I prefer this one are – I find it to be the quickest one to do (look at the video at the bottom to see how fast) It has a good balance between being a stretchy cast-on, as well as, springing back into place. I find the knitted cast-ons tend to be too tight for most situations. It creates a strong stable stitch that is easy to knit into on that first row. Some cast-ons can be very tricky or time-consuming on that first row. It is also a fantastic cast-on for top down socks – as it is so stretchy. Last year, I made a cast-on flow chart for the blog, which can be useful in determining what type of cast on to use. I prefer to learn from a photo tutorial but for those of you who pre

African Flowers Bucket Bag

I love the African Flower motif and suddenly just had the desire to make a bag for my knitting. Took a bit of playing around to figure out how to make the shape I wanted. I wanted a bucket shaped bag. I ended up breaking the shapes down - I made a tube from the hexagons and then a circle for the base. I used half hexagons to give the tube a straight edge. I used  Littleberry’s  half hexagon pattern - though I restarted the yarn on the right hand side every round. I used the  magic circle technique  for the centres and crocheted over the ends of the yarn and connected the hexagons as I went. I managed to find some fabric in my stash that matched the colours of the cotton and used this for the lining. I made twisted cord from the cotton for the drawstring. There was a bit of yarn leftover so I made a little drawstring pouch for my stitch markers. Bag Construction Make a tube with the hexagons, eight across and 4 high. Make 8 half hexagons for the top and bottoms t