Japanese Wallhanging

Been planning quite an elaborate Christmas present for my mum. She really likes koi carp and I spotted this Kona Bay Japanese print at last year's Festival of Quilts; so I just had to have it.

I'd seen something at the show with a similar print in; which was banner shaped with diamond blocks surrounding it. Thought I'd do something similar but I've got a bit of a penchant for Cathedral block windows. Lynne Edwards has released a new book Cathedral Window Quilts: The Classic Folded Technique and a Wealth of Variations
It's a really beautiful book and she goes into detail on all the different ways of making Cathedral Windows plus other types of folded blocks too. What I found quite useful was the machine piecing section which I put into practice making the wallhanging. I must say it was a little fiddly at times but think it turned out well. One of the tricky parts for me was the free motion quilting on the picture.

I used Perfect Pallete fabric for the main background & the windows
are from a charm pack of Kona Bay fabrics. Finally finished it just in time for Christmas. This is my Japanese Window Wallhanging.

Comments

  1. I am bias but I must say that is a great creation you made using Kona Bay Fabrics!!! (disclosure time: I am the President of Kona Bay and came across your quilting blog). Keep up the super job!!

    Douglas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Substituting Yarn in a Project

Photo Tutorial: How to Back a Knitted Blanket

Photo & Video Tutorial: Magic Loop Cast-On