FO: Black Mojitos


I finally got around to using my yarn that I picked up at the Big Coffee Morning yarn swap at A Good Yarn. Nicsknots brought this gorgeous Easy Knits skein to swap and I was lucky enough for my ticket to be drawn first.

The pattern is Rubbish Mojitos by Woolly Wormhead. I was very impressed with the pattern for the Mystery KAL this year and thought I'd try another.


I didn't realise the crown had such beautiful swirls on it before I started. So that was a lovely surprise.

The yarn ended up make spirals for the main body of the hat, which I thought was cool. Though being mainly purl stitch it hides it a bit.

For some reason I decided that I was going to knit the hat inside out; so I was mainly using knit stitches instead of purling. Not that I have any particular objection to purling. I think it was more an exercise to see if I could work out how to reverse the knitting.

I read the instructions from the end of the round and worked out what would be worked on the wrong side - swap knit for purl and vice versa.

The cable stitches were a little more complicated to work out. After a bit of playing about on my needles, it turned out that the reverse of the first two cables is the same as the original instructions. The cable decrease, on the other hand, was different. I cable without a cable needle and I just ended up moving the stitches around on my needle for it to work.

If I were using a cable needle then the instruction would be to slip the first knit stitch wyib, place purl stitch on cable needle held to the back, slip knit stitch back to left needle and knit two stitches together, then purl stitch from cable needle.

The moving of the marker is a bit hard to follow in reverse but as long as the single purl column lines up, then it doesn't matter too much if you're a stitch off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Substituting Yarn in a Project

Photo Tutorial: How to Back a Knitted Blanket

Photo & Video Tutorial: Magic Loop Cast-On